Smurgling

Consult other Bengal lovers about behavioral problems, knowledge and experience or just come and learn about Bengal behavior.

Moderators: xkwisit, TexasBengalMom

Smurgling

Postby HoleInWallGang on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:02 pm

One of our two bengal boys, Cassidy, is a smurgler. I haven't seen it discussed much here, but smurgling is defined by the Little Known Feline Ailments page http://www.messybeast.com/moggycat/ailment.htm as "Varied:- sucking at clothing, owners earlobes/nose/fingers/skin, drooling, glazed expression. Often accompanied by kneading and high volume purring."

Cassidy's first choice is my neck - more specifically a mole on the side of my neck. If he can't get to that, the other side of my neck, or my wife's neck will do. In a pinch, he'll smurgle with his brother, Sundance. Once he gets the look in his eyes, there's very little to disuade him. A minute or so is about all I can take. It's okay now, while he weighs just a few pounds (he's about 5 1/2 months), but I don't know what he'll be like when he's full grown.

Has anyone found a way to ease up on the smugling?

Howard
HoleInWallGang
Baby Bengal

Smurgling

Postby Rozs mom on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:00 am

Have the mole removed? Give him a Binky? :lol:
Rozs mom

Postby HoleInWallGang on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:41 am

:lol: Unfortunately, he thinks the mole is nice, but not necessary. Any neck will do....

Howard
HoleInWallGang
Baby Bengal

Postby crazyaboutmybengals on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:18 pm

My bengal boy, Cole, used to smurgle. I know exactly what you mean about a look in his eye. Cole got almost frantic until he could get to my ear. He did it from the first night we brought him home until he was about 11 months old. We went on a vacation around that time and when we got back he didn't do it anymore. Every once in a while he still gets that look in his eye when he really wants some attention, but he doesn't smurgle. I have a feeling your kitten will eventually grow out of it.
crazyaboutmybengals
Newborn Bengal

Return to BEHAVIOR