Chuffing and Woofing

Consult other Bengal lovers about behavioral problems, knowledge and experience or just come and learn about Bengal behavior.

Moderators: xkwisit, TexasBengalMom

Chuffing and Woofing

Postby gtivr6r on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Does your male Benagl chuff like a Tiger?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngQ8odAWUJY

From Wikipedia:
Prusten is a sound made by the tiger and the snow leopard, also known as chuffing or chuffle (verb and noun).[1] It is a low-frequency equivalent to the purring found in domesticated cats. The animal's mouth is closed and it blows through the nostrils, producing a breathy snort.[2] This sound is non-threatening and often used when two big cats encounter each other on neutral territory, or between courting pairs.[3][4] Mothers use it to their cubs as a form of reassurance.[4] It has been known for tigers and snow leopards held in captivity to use this sound to keepers. Prusten is a German word. It means to sneeze or snort.

My Pumbaa chuffs. He responds to me when I chuff back. kisscheek

Anyone else's Male Bengal chuff?

My Nala, (female) acts more like and Woofs like a lioness. To me it kinda sounds more like a bark, or super short miaow.

From Wikipedia:
Lions have an array of facial expressions and body postures that serve as visual gestures.[105] Their repertoire of vocalizations is also large; variations in intensity and pitch, rather than discrete signals, appear central to communication. Lion sounds include snarling, purring, hissing, coughing, miaowing, woofing and roaring.

Oh and Nala knows how to woof, miaow and roar when she wants me to turn on the water for her to play in. rofl

Anyone else's Bengals vocalize and exhibit these "Wild Big Cat" behaviors?

I'm not worred, I just think its so cool how more wild cat they are than domestic ones.
And I love the fact I can read and speak Begal fluantly. smille
- Mike
I was told that training cats was difficult.
It's not. Mine had me trained in two days. >^,,^<
gtivr6r
Junior kitten

Re: Chuffing and Woofing

Postby Hockeygirl88 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi Mike,

My Bentley is an F5, so he's kinda far removed from the "wild". He doesn't exactly chuff, but he definitely grunts. Whenever I snuggle on him or rough up his fur he grunts. It's very cute! He is also a mouth breather whenever he plays hard. Apparently that is an ALC trait!

Terri, Bentley and Willow
Hockeygirl88
Adult Bengal

Postby pkittie on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:53 am

Ahsa sort of chuffs. He emits enough air out to poof out his whisker puffs for a nano second.
pkittie
Baby Bengal

Postby Bengalsmitten on Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:17 pm

Sasha, my half bengal, and both my bengal kittens do this. My daughter's bengal, possibly a cross, also does this. I really like the wild musky odor they all get when in full play or stressed!
Bengalsmitten
Junior kitten

Postby Peepers on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:03 pm

Just curious..... what exactly does a Bengal's chuffing sound 'sound' like? I've tried to find some examples online, but nothing exactly like what I hear.

Peepers makes this sort of soft 'airy grunt' (more air than grunt) when he's jumping and playing hard -- I've always thought that it is just him landing hard and forcing the air out of his lungs, but he's not always jumping when it happens, sometimes he's running trying to catch it on the floor. It's a really soft sound and sometimes even sounds a bit like there's a snort mixed in. He doesn't do it any other time other than when he's chasing his toys or playing hard (like with daBird... ;)

He does pant like a dog when he gets really worked hard :lol:, but this isn't the same thing.
"Peepers Mom" Karen
Peepers
Distinguished Bengal

Postby Bengalsmitten on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:57 am

It's a funny sound of air rushing out of the nose and mouth at the same time. Kind of like a HURUMPH! from people. Jamilah makes that noise and a chirring chirping sound when she is playing with a wand toy..I call it her "Battle Cry" she lets out a dipappointed "mew" when her sister gets it first!
Bengalsmitten
Junior kitten

Postby Feliciaj on Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:05 am

My Ginger has such a wide variety of sounds she makes. When she is getting petted, she does this short, airy, almost electronic sounding "eh, eh." When she wants to be petted she does a short, high pitched, "mi" or "meh-eh." If she gets picked up because she is somewhere she shouldn't be she sometimes does a cat version of "uh-oh!" If I walk away after playing with her or go out the door, she does this low pitched, "M-whoa" like she's going to cry. She kind of barks when she's impatient. She yowls loudly when she wants attention and growls like a little wildcat at the other cats. If she is held too long, she wails, one time coming out with a very definite, "Nooooooooooo!" Of course there's the weird hunting sound when she sees birds out the window or a spider on the wall. We mimic her all the time, saying we speak Bengal. She probably thinks we're idiots. I've never heard the chuffing, though.
Feliciaj
Newborn Bengal

Postby Sindri on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:54 am

Our boys do a chuffing sound when they are playing hard, I thought it was just heavy breathing but that doesn't fit as although they tend to settle down fairly soon after they aren't breathing heavily when they do.

They are very vocal and makes lots of different noises at differing times, they have a "where are you" call, Merry has a "yep i like that stroke me more" statement, the "I'm gonna eat you when I get out of here" nattering at the birds, the "i see a spider/insect/crawling thing let me at it" shout, a "let me go or I'll call the RSPCA" scream, a "pay attention to me" cry and many more.

I just love trying to identify all their different noises.
Sindri
Junior kitten

Postby Enzosmom on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:57 pm

I am so glad you posted something about this. Enzo chuffs while he is playing! At first, I thought he was playing too hard or that he was tired. But he doesn't stop or slow down and he's not in distress in any way. He makes so many different noises ... the longer we are together, the more sounds he comes up with. It's so funny because he definitely has my number.
I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It's not. Mine had me trained in two days.
Enzosmom
Baby Bengal

Return to BEHAVIOR